Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Day 16 - The Softer Side of A

To my wife (this is Chris), what an amazing mother you naturally are! You other readers will understand by the end of this post, and it will be a rather short one due to the nature of today's time with A.

It is cold here! I know this is no surprise or new thing, but it is really cold! A is certainly feeling the weather, and she was a bit solemn when she saw us today. Still excited, still came directly to us, but with less enthusiasm than most days. She played with her bday present while just sitting in my lap, we played a little "catch me Papa!", and even laughed a bit in the stroller, but even during these activities she would stop and look like she was feeling crummy.

Enter her mommy. At one point about 20 minutes in, A grabbed ahold of Cindy and sat in her lap with a rather freakish one armed, balding baby doll. Cindy started rocking her, and A fought only a tiny bit before drifting off for the next 45 minutes! Obviously Cindy has that "motherly touch" already in her, and A senses that. The only noise for the rest of our time was that of her favorite little music box (K&D, you are the best!) and A's cute little sucking of her bottom lip.

Papa didn't come back into the picture except when she briefly awoke a few times. I knew this would happen and my worst fear would be realized: my daughter would wake up and the sight of me would cause her to SCREAM! But my darling A surprised me yet again. She opened her eyes, looked deep into mine, and drifted back into her dreams. Even when we woke her so I could carry her back upstairs, A just grabbed on to me and calmly enjoyed her ride to her room.

No fuss when we left, just longing (and still very tired) eyes and a blown kiss with a wave. A perfect ending to a fantastic day with a daughter that trusts us enough to rock her to sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment