Monday, December 13, 2010

And it begins

In April 2009 we started the most faith building journey of our life. Chris and I have always known that we wanted to adopt. It was only a matter of when and from where. After we had been married for close to 5 years it became clear to both of us that it was time. Since then we have had to mature and grow in our faith to survive. We actually got to the point that we decided it was time to give up our perceived control and move forward with our lives. We were not giving up, just not sitting still while waiting. It became clear to me that I was supposed to go back to work. God affirmed this choice by giving me a great job quickly and easily. Then we got confused again. The same week I started work their was an announcement made by the US Department of State that made it clear that we would either be traveling soon or our long process would be over without our baby. We just needed to be patient because God had it under control.
(Side note: Right before this announcement came out we hung a Moravian star in what will be the babies room. Chris mentioned that it was a symbol of guiding our baby home, and once it was up, things started happening! Then things stopped again. I went home and saw that the star had fallen and the light bulb broke. I was kinda crazy that day and decided that I could not deal with it. On Monday Chris decided to fix it. Maybe 30 minutes later we saw the email that would forever change our family. I know that God is in charge, not the star, but even still I am making sure that thing is hanging and working.)
On Monday December 6, 2010 our Case Worker sent us an email letting us know that Kazakhstan wants us to be there on December 19th! The week following was amazing. My job decided that they wanted to work with me and do whatever they can to keep me on. Chris's vacation worked out perfectly to where we will not have to go without an income while we are there. I was already going to Louisiana so I was able to share this with many people in person! What wonderful people we have in our lives! So many people have been praying for us and have been there for us throughout this process. We can't wait to share this with everyone. Hence the blog! We are leaving on December 17th and should meet our child on December 20th. We do not know anything other than he or she will be between 9 and 24 months.
(one more side note: I decided that I would wait until I could tell people in person to tell my family. On tuesday we had Chinese and my fortune cookie said that I should call my loved ones and tell them the good news. I almost called but decided that fortune cookies do not control my decision. If they did I would have done some crazy things, I have eaten a lot of fortune cookies in my life.)
I will later post details of how the trips are supposed to go. For now I will say that the first trip will probably be 5 weeks long and if everything goes exactly right we will be able to have our child home in March.

2 comments:

  1. I'm so excited to follow along on your exciting journey!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am thrilled for you and Chris! I am so happy you started this so we can follow your exciting journey!

    ReplyDelete